0 votes
by (114k points)

The amount of onion that can be toxic to dogs depends on a few factors:

1 Answer

0 votes
by (114k points)
Best answer

The amount of onion that can be toxic to dogs depends on a few factors:

  • Dog's size: Smaller dogs are more susceptible to onion poisoning than larger breeds.
  • Amount of onion ingested: The larger the amount consumed, the higher the risk of toxicity.
  • Concentration of onion compounds: Different parts of the onion plant (bulb, flesh, leaves) and processed forms (powder, juice) can have varying concentrations of toxic compounds.

Here's a general guideline:

  • Toxic dose: According to veterinary sources, ingesting more than 0.5% of their body weight in onions can be toxic to dogs.

This means:

  • A 10-pound dog (4.5 kg) would be at risk after consuming more than 25 grams (about 0.9 ounces) of onion.
  • A 45-pound dog (20.4 kg) could potentially experience problems after eating over 112 grams (about 4 ounces) of onion.


  • These are just estimates, and individual dogs may vary in their sensitivity.
  • Any amount of onion ingestion is best avoided.

If you suspect your dog ate onion, contact your veterinarian or animal poison control center immediately. Here are some resources:

  • American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435
  • Pet Poison Helpline: (855) 777-2213

Remember, early intervention is crucial in cases of onion poisoning.

Welcome to How, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.