0 votes
by (194k points)

The process for changing your name on a passport depends on whether your name change is due to marriage, divorce, or another reason (court order, legal name change).

1 Answer

0 votes
by (194k points)
Best answer

Here's a breakdown for each scenario:

Changing Name Due to Marriage:

  • Documents Required:

  • Steps:

    1. Gather the required documents mentioned above.
    2. Fill out form DS-82 completely and accurately.
    3. Submit the application form, documents, and fees by mail or in person (depending on eligibility). You can find specific instructions on the U.S. Department of State website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html.

Changing Name Due to Divorce:

  • Documents Required:

  • Steps:

    1. Collect the required documents.
    2. Ensure your divorce decree explicitly mentions a name change if you want it reflected in your passport.
    3. Complete form DS-82, indicating your name change and the reason (divorce).
    4. Submit the application, documents, and fees following the instructions provided by the U.S. Department of State https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html.

Changing Name Due to Other Reasons (Court Order):

Important Notes:

  • Always check the website of the U.S. Department of State (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html) for the latest information on passport application procedures and fees.
  • Processing times for name change passports can vary, so factor that in when planning your travels.
  • If you are outside the U.S., you can apply for a passport renewal or name change passport at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

I hope this explanation helps!

Welcome to How, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.